Fail!

It's now the last week of July. Where's Toadman 3 or that sprite editor I was talking about earlier? They haven't come very far. I typed up some ideas, but Toadman 3 hasn't picked up any momentum. The sprite editor was moving along well, but development on it stopped a while back.

Stuff happens, I guess. It just seems harder nowadays to finish something, or even start something for that matter.

It makes me ponder what has changed since the days when I was really active and coded a number of projects in a small amount of time. Between 2000 and 2002, I finished six games: Toadman, Toadman 2, Unofficial Tournament, Torched Earth, Larry the Dinosaur, and Larry the Dinosaur 2. However, between then and now, nothing, except for a little ascii game I released back in 2007.

So, what's happened? I work and go to school, and sometimes that wears me out, but I'm still a single man with plenty of free time. Maybe I try to make projects that are too big in scale, and I need to cut back and make simpler games.

There's some truth to that. Whenever I finished a game in the past, I felt that I needed to top it in the next game. When I finished Larry the Dinosaur 2, I was pumped up for the sequel. It was going to be in C++, have better graphics, larger levels, faster gameplay. It would put #2 to shame.

Well, I made it pretty far on the sequel, but I bit off a little more than I could chew on that one.

So maybe I need to take a step back. Start with simple games again, original games instead of sequels, so I don't feel the need to top the previous game in the series. I am only one man after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment